New License Application

To assure consideration of your license application, the Board office must receive all of these items no later than 4:30 PM ten full working days before the Board’s meeting date:

  • Completed, signed and notarized application form
  • Fee payment
  • All required supporting documentation.

The Board’s Rules and Regulations, Meeting Dates, and Law are available at If you have any questions, email: or call (334) 242-5550.


HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS OR SYSTEM. A heating and/or cooling apparatus consisting of an air heating and/or cooling fixture from pipes, plenums or blowers including any accessory and equipment installed in connection herewith; specifically excluding window units, automotive or farm implement type heating and/or air conditioning equipment

REFRIGERATION. The use of mechanical or absorption equipment to control temperature, humidity, or both, in order to satisfy the intended use of a specific space, other than for human comfort.

Examples of HVAC and Refrigeration Systems (list is not all inclusive):

Heating - Forced Air Systems, Ventilation, Gas Piping, Mini-Split, Heat Pumps, Central Heat, etc.

Air Conditioning- Forced Air Systems, Ventilation, Mini-Split, Heat Pumps, Central Air, etc.

Refrigeration - Walk-In Coolers, Reach-In Coolers, Commercial Refrigerators, Refrigerated Storage, etc.


 Step 1.


  • Completed, signed and notarized application which can be found under the forms and notices section of our site.. Processing fee by check or money order made payable to “State of Alabama.” The fee for examination is $150.00
  • The proof you must submit will be based on whether you have an “Apprentice Certificate” or have graduated from an approved curriculum determines what other proof you must submit.
  • If you have an “Apprentice Certificate” issued by the Board, you will only need to provide copies of your apprenticeship certificates for the previous two years.
  • If you have graduated from an approved curriculum, you will only need to provide copies of your transcripts showing completion and graduation of program.

– OR–

  • If you do not have an Apprentice Certificate or have graduated from an approved curriculum you must submit:
  • Proof of at least three thousand (3000) hours work experience (18 months) gained under supervision of a HACR licensee. Use the Affidavit form included in the application packet.
  • Tax form W-2 and an affidavit of the employer or officer of the employing company as proof of experience. Acceptance of proof of experience is at the discretion of the Board.

Step 2.

Upon Successful Completion of the Examination: Please determine a status of your certification.

 1. Active Status: For contractors who perform HVAC or Refrigeration installation, service or repair must hold an ACTIVE certification with the Board. In order to apply for an active certification you must submit forms AL-1, AL-2 and BF-1 of the license application along with a performance bond in the amount of $15,000 along with the active certification fee.

2. Inactive Status: You may place your license on Inactive status. You cannot practice while your license is in inactive status. To request inactive status, you must submit form AL-1 only.

If you wish to change your status you must complete and submit form CS-1 along with appropriate fees.


You may apply by reciprocity if you hold a current and valid HVAC license with the South Carolina Residential Builders Commission for at least 5 years; Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors for at least 3 years; Mississippi Board of Contractors for at least 1 year; Louisiana or West Virginia where there are no waiting periods.


  • Completed, signed and notarized application forms AL-1, AL-2, VL-1, VL-2 and BF-1.
  • Processing fee by check, credit card or money order made payable to "State of Alabama. “Fees for Active contractors are $190.00 annually and $95.00 for inactive contractors annually.
  • Performance Bond in the amount of $15,000 in the business name listing the Board as obligee (use form BF-1)

FOREIGN  CORPORATION  (BUSINESS OR NON-PROFIT)  APPLICATION FOR  REGISTRATION (To apply as a foreign corporation please visit the Alabama Secretary of State website at